Terms & Conditions of Hire (Day Boats)
Please read these conditions of hire carefully as they contain legal obligations and liabilities of the hirer.
- DAY HIRE from 9:15am and return by 5:30pm (or dusk whichever is earlier).
- Late return Penalty - £25 within first 30 minutes, £50 per hour or part thereafter.
- If the boat is returned soiled there is a £25 cleaning charge.
- MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PERSONS - THESE ARE LEGAL LIMTS SET BY THE BRITISH MARINE FEDERATION
- Mr Badger and Mr Mole 12
- Mr Owl and Mr Fox 10
- Mr Toad and Mr Otter 8
- The boats are available from the boat centre in Broxbourne from 9:15 onwards.
- CASH SECURITY DEPOSIT of £250 must be left at the boat centre prior to departure that will be refunded on return as per clause 8 in the 'Terms & Conditions'.
- CANCELLATION: See 'Terms & Conditions' clause 25.
- PLEASE NOTE: LVBC do not supply First Aid Kits on board so please bring your own.
Day Boat Terms and Conditions
1. Before confirming your booking, you and others confirmed in your booking should read and familiarize yourselves with these Day Boat Booking Terms and Conditions.
2. The contract for hire is between you as the hirer and Lee Valley Boat Centre, hereinafter referred to as ‘LVBC’ and made under English law subject to the conditions referred to on the website.
3. We have the discretion to amend these Conditions from time to time automatically replacing all previous versions published.
4. LVBC reserves the right to decline to accept a booking and/or refuse to hire a boat to any person or group where in the sole opinion of LVBC, the boat is not suitable for the person or for any member of the group. In particular, LVBC will not accept a booking from or hire a boat to persons less than 21 years of age and proof of age may be required in the form of photo, driving license or passport. The hirer must also be a member of the group on board.
5. Full payment is required at the time of making your booking with us. Your booking will only be available on the date agreed. All prices appearing on our website or otherwise advertised are subject to availability and change.
6. LVBC will make every effort to provide a chosen boat on the date booked, however where necessary, and at our reasonable discretion, we may have to alter the boat due to events beyond our control. If LVBC is prevented by circumstances beyond its control from making available a boat which has been booked and cannot provide a suitable alternative, LVBC will refund any hire charges paid but no further liability will be accepted.
7. During the period of hire, you as the hirer are deemed to be ‘the captain’ in charge of the boat unless another member of the party (who must be not less than 21 years of age) is appointed to this role by you and notified to the company before commencement of the hire or subsequently in the event of an emergency. The captain is responsible for the care and use of the boat and its equipment, for their own safety and for the safety and conduct of all members of the party being either crew or passengers. However, if another member of the party is appointed by you as captain, you as the hirer nevertheless remain ultimately responsible under your contract for hire and you must ensure that the appointed captain and the other members of the party have all the information they need in this context.
8. On arrival you will be required to pay a security deposit of £250 which can be paid by debit card only. The deposit will be held by LVBC as security against damage, loss of equipment, breakages, accidents, late returns, boats returned dirty and/or damage to third parties The security deposit will be refunded within 24 hours upon return of the boat but LVBC reserves the right to first deduct any charges arising under any of the following conditions.
9. The day boat and all its equipment must be returned to LVBC on time at the end of your hire period in a clean, tidy and undamaged condition. If the boat is not returned on time, LVBC has sole discretion to impose additional charges. LVBC will also make a charge if the boat and its equipment are not returned in a clean, tidy and undamaged condition.
10. For your own safety and the safety of other passengers, you must follow all verbal or written instruction and directions given by a member of staff during the handover. You must take care for your own safety whilst on board the boat, taking account of river and environmental conditions. You are expected at all times to conduct yourself in a manner which respects the health, safety and comfort of all members on board. You are expected to comply with any reasonable request made by LVBC. You must pay attention to and comply with all regulations and notices relating to safety and security.
11. LVBC reserves the right to repossess the boat and terminate the hire at any time where an accident or damage has occurred or in the sole opinion of LVBC is likely to occur. In such cases LVBC will not be liable to make a refund of the hire charge paid or any portion thereof and there shall be no further liability on LVBC whatsoever.
12. The passenger capacity for each boat is shown on the website, on the boat handover form and displayed on every boat is the maximum number of persons permitted on board and this must not be exceeded under any circumstances.
13. You are responsible for ensuring you are fit to travel. Passengers who are pregnant or have pre-diagnosed health conditions or an injury are advised to seek medical advice before travelling. LVBC reserve the right to refuse to allow you or any passenger to travel who, in LVBC opinion, are unfit to be carried on a boat for any reason.
14. Regulation (EU) No. 1177/2010 does not apply to our services as LVBC is only certified to carry up to 12 persons. Our boats have not been designed or adapted for people in wheelchairs. LVBC recommend that you satisfy yourself as to their suitability for wheelchair access before booking. If you are a wheelchair user, LVBC recommend that you ensure that you have enough helpers to aid you to embark and disembark the vessel safely. LVBC staff are not permitted to lift wheelchairs on and off the boat. For health and safety reasons, wheelchairs are not permitted to obstruct any access to safety and lifesaving equipment on board any boats.
15. LVBC agree to allow a maximum of two pets on board with you, you will be responsible for keeping control of them at all times, including ensuring that they are suitably restrained in an appropriate pet carrier or with an appropriate leash or harness. There is no additional charge for the first pet, a charge of £5 will be charged for the second pet payable on arrival.
16. LVBC reserve the right to refuse to allow you to take on board any luggage, goods, wheelchairs or any other property which, in LVBC reasonable opinion, is unfit to be carried for any reason. This may include paddle boards, dinghies and other tenders which are not permitted to be towed.
17. LVBC will not be liable for any deaths, illness or personal injuries or for the loss or damage of any property (including any vehicles left in public car park and/or contents of such vehicles) unless caused by a neglect act and/or omission of LVBC (or its employees whilst they are acting within the scope of or in the course of their employment) in the context of your contract for hire. Any claims against LVBC for hire must be notified to LVBC immediately or as soon as is practicable and in event no later than 30 days after the date of hire. Such notification must be given in writing but if it is initially given verbally it must be confirmed in writing to LVBC no later than 30 days after the date of hire.
18. Any property which reasonably appears to LVBC to have been lost or abandoned on board our boats or at our premises may be removed and sold or otherwise disposed of by LVBC if they are not claimed within 6 weeks. If LVBC reasonably consider that the lost property may cause damage, injury or inconvenience LVBC may destroy or dispose of them at any time. LVBC reserve the right to ask for reasonable evidence of ownership from anyone making a claim for lost property.
19. LVBC shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising from a defect in or failure of any service where this is caused by: a. You or the fault of any passenger b. The fault of a third party c. Events beyond our control.
20. LVBC shall not be liable in any circumstances for any loss of profits, loss of business and/or any other indirect or consequential loss or damage howsoever caused, even if caused by LVBC, or our employees negligence.
21. In the event of an accident or incident being reported on the day of hire by a third party or by the hirer the deposit will be retained against any excesses due in the event of an insurance claim. This will be returned at a later date if no claims are forthcoming
22. LVBC services may be monitored by CCTV to provide added security and the video and sound recordings will be used solely for the monitoring of safety, security, service quality and in support of relevant criminal and civil legal proceedings and complaint investigation.
23. Day boats are available to hire from 9:15am to 5:30pm (or dusk, whichever comes first). The boat is restricted to the NAVIGABLE parts of the Rivers Lee and Stort only, and not permitted in or beyond Stanstead Abbotts lock in the northerly direction, Waltham Town lock in the southerly direction on the River Lee, or Roydon Lock on the River Stort. The speed limit is 4 mph. You must comply with any instructions given to you by LVBC or Canal & River Trust staff.
24. Alcohol is permitted on board during the hire period, to a reasonable amount, at the sole discretion of LVBC. However, NO SPIRITS are permitted on board.
25. Any payments made to LVBC will not be returned if hirer cancels within 7 days of the hire date. Refunds MAY be issued if cancellations occur within 21 days, subject to LVBC obtaining an alternative booking for the hire date. All payments made will be refunded before this 21 day period. Administration charges of £25 will be applied to any changes or cancellations.
26. No failure by LVBC to enforce or rely upon these Conditions shall be construed as a waiver or shall affect LVBCs right to enforce any other Conditions. If any of these Conditions shall become declared invalid or unenforceable then such invalidity or unenforceability shall not affect the remaining Conditions, all of which shall remain in full force. LVBC employees have no authority to waive or vary any of these Conditions. We may contract with any person at LVBC absolute discretion to supply the whole or any part of the hire pursuant to these Conditions.